Hi! It’s been a bit of a longer break than I intended. First of all, I took a family week off and then I was a bit under the weather, but now I’m back with a new make to share. You might recognise the shape of my statement print long-sleeved tee and that’s because I made a similar one here.
I’m enjoying the occasional print in my wardrobe these days and once again I’ve used a Marcy Tilton panel print for my top. Whilst not all of the colours in the tee are from my usual preferred palette (Soft Autumn) there are enough shades in the print that are from it so I feel that it works.
As before, I ordered just a one-panel length of fabric (two images across the width) however, I think my piece must have been the end of the roll because I was sent an extra half-length (yay!). Good job I did have the extra too because although I was expecting some major pattern Tetris, it meant that I was able to cut my pieces out without much hassle.
The pattern I used for this simple dolman shape was Burda Style 107 12/2019 the same as my other top. It’s a pattern originally meant for a woven fabric, but that didn’t stop me from making it in a knit 🙂
The panel print area is quite a vertical oblong shape and I didn’t want a very long top so I used the fabric on the cross-grain to make full use of the design…and I decided to offset the design to one side because I fancied the idea of a bit of asymmetry.
The right sleeve had to have a couple of joins in it because of how I had positioned the pattern on the material, so I stitched the seams, pressed them open and did a row of topstitching down either side of the seam.
I decided on colourful bindings for the cuffs but wanted a cleaner finish around the neck so I used more of the olive shade for the neck binding.
Early on in the making process, I tried on the basted together top to check pattern placement and fit. I’m glad I did because I felt that the colours lacked a little balance in a couple of places so I decided to remedy this. I cut a few strips of fabric from the print and sewed them on top to add more colour/design where I felt it looked a little bare. You can see some on the front in this photo:
I rather like how these additions look 🙂
And that’s it really, short but sweet this week 🙂 My top is quite a simple shape that lets the fabric be the star. It feels super comfy to wear and adds some brightness and flare to my wardrobe. I love it just styled simply with a pair of jeans.
And with that, I’ll say goodbye for this week and I hope that you are able to keep a bit of positivity in your life these days with so much horribleness happening in the world right now. I guess at least a bit of sewing here and there can help take our minds off it all.
Take care and I’ll chat soon x
I love the asymmetrical design on the top. Clever to reorient the fabric.
Thanks ever so much, Sue. Yes, I just loved how it worked flipped around and offset.
Great top, Diane. I would not think to add back where I wanted more color — but that is smart!
I bet it looks great untucked, as well bc the hem has the more vibrant colors (noticed that part of the design from the back view!).
Thank you so much, Joan! Yes, it does look nice untucked too. Darn, should have taken a photo as I was trying it out both ways before the photoshoot.
I think the asymmetry makes it!
Thanks, Catherin! Me too.
Like how you have placed the print and the little added bits. Looks great.
Thnks Vicki, glad you like what I did with the fabric.