It’s all about elevated basics today and for me, my statement print tee with long sleeves really nails comfort with a pop of colour and eye-catching print.
Lately, I’ve been a lot more mindful about planning and sewing for my personal style, lifestyle and comfort. This top really fits with my style goals about what makes me feel like ‘me’ when I wear something, how items work on a day-to-day basis, and how comfortable they are.
So let’s dive into the details!
The starting point for this make was the fabric which came from Marcy Tilton Fabrics. I first heard about them via Karen (aka @intostitches on Instagram who I featured in this post). I saw her wearing some beautiful printed linen that she’d made into a blouse and I asked her where the fabric was from… of course, I had to go and browse the website and that’s when I saw this particular lovely panel print in cotton jersey.
The print has lots of my favourite colours in it and although I don’t wear many prints I just couldn’t get the fabric out of my mind (if the right print comes along, I’m sold on the idea). The fabric is sold by the panel length and each section has two prints running across the width.
Now, I knew the postage would be verrrry expensive so I took a chance and ordered just one length of the panel. It did end up quite expensive overall but at least I struck lucky and got away without a customs charge and once I saw the colours of the fabric in the flesh, I was absolutely thrilled with it.
So what pattern did I use? Well, I’m glad you asked 🙂 I wanted an easy shape without lots of extra seams on the body because I didn’t want the pattern to be broken up, so after a good search through my Burdastyle magazines, I found number 107 12/2019 which is actually meant for a woven fabric, but who am I to follow suggestions like that 😉
The pattern design has dolman sleeves with just a back and front piece. I’d planned on making my version fairly short, finishing at high hip length but because the print design runs more vertically I decided to cut my pieces on the cross-grain of the fabric so that I didn’t chop off any of the lovely colours.
As I said, I only bought a one-panel length and that meant I had some serious pattern Tetris to do in order to cut out the sleeves. Using the cross-grain positioning meant I had a horizontal seam partway down my arm but then I also struggled to get enough fabric for the rest of the sleeves. I ended up with two more seams down each one as I used up every last little scrap of the fabric…there were literally shreds left!
Fortunately, sewing up my top was a heck of a lot easier than cutting out! For nice flat seams on the sleeve joins I stitched, pressed them open, and then topstitched either side so that they lay nice and flat.
The sides and the shoulders were overlocked and I put a very narrow binding on the neckline.
I’m really happy with this make as it’s practical, fun and a bit different. The colours are lovely and cheery too. I’m sure it’ll get a lot of wear out of it…and in fact, I’ve already ordered another print from the new range on Marcy Tilton but this time with an olive background. Can’t wait for it to arrive!
Catch you soon!
Pin For Later