These Side stripe trousers are my BurdaStyle project as part of the influencer team for December…I know…it’s January (and a new year). Well, I was quite a bit slower than usual in getting these completed and if you follow me on Instagram then you might already know why if you saw my post from just before Christmas…
You see, unfortunately, my dear Dad passed away a few days before Christmas (and after I had written my recap post).
My dad went very peacefully with my mum and me at his bedside in the nursing home where he had been since last January, and whilst dad’s passing wasn’t completely unexpected due to his frailty, it did happen quite suddenly and without much warning, so it’s quite a shock to be left with the big hole in our lives that he once filled. My dad was loving, very kind, a true gentleman and always a huge supporter of my sewing and photography (I owe my interest in photography to him), and I know he would want me to continue to keep finding joy in my creativity. I will miss him…
Moving on with that creative note though, I really should get on with telling you about my trousers. So, as I said, this was my December project and when I saw these side stripe trousers (number 117 11/2018) in the November collection of patterns I immediately wanted to try them.
For quite some time I knew that I wanted some burgundy trousers in my life and the fabric I’ve used for this project is a deep burgundy coloured poly blend stretch bengaline that I bought from Clothspot. The stretch runs along the length of the fabric, not the width
Side Stripe Trousers Pattern Details
This brings me nicely on to the subject of the pattern itself. For a pair of trousers, there are actually quite a few pattern pieces, 12 in fact. The waistband is slightly curved for a lovely fit and the front layer of the band is in two halves with a seam running horizontally around the middle that some piping is inserted into. There’s a side concealed zip fastening, a side stripe applied down each front leg, two angled hip pockets and one back pocket. I decided to completely omit the back pocket because I was already giving myself extra work to do when I took it upon myself to increase my workload for this project by adding ankle zips which I’ve always loved in my olive trousers seen in this post. All in all though, given all of the features I just mentioned, I would say that you’d need to be a fairly confident sewer to consider making this design. It’s certainly not for a new sewer.
The first stage of making up my trousers was to sew the angled pockets. As with a lot of Burda trousers they have that lovely extension on the inside which goes right across the front and acts like a tummy control panel as well as anchoring the pocket bags nicely. I decided to cut back a bit on
Once I’d completed the pockets I set about constructing the waistband. For the band insertion/piping (and side stripe also), I used a lovely deep brown viscose twill bias binding that I bought from
Next came the rather tricky bit…the fitting. Now, the pattern instructions say to stitch the side stripe on to the front trousers before sewing up the side seams. Well, knowing my shape oddities (flat butt, slightly knock-knees and a wide waist) I knew that I would probably need to do a fair bit of trying on and tweaking of side seams and crotch curve so I decided to exercise my couture muscles and to hand sew the stripe on at the end of my project so that I could be sure of the fit before committing to the stripes. I really didn’t want to faff with basting, fitting, then marking and unpicking to stitch on the brown stripe. I’m glad I took this approach because I did actually struggle to get the fit right over my bum and at the back of my legs. The fabric had a tendency to show crinkles fairly easily and I was determined to get a smoother fit…so yes, there was a LOT of faffing. I’m pretty pleased with the resulting shape on me though, so it was worth the effort.
Once I was happy with fit and length I inserted the ankle zips and then set to work carefully hand sewing the lovely twill binding on the sides. I basted it well first and then used a back stitch to attach the stripes down both edges. I really enjoyed the slow process actually and I found that it enabled me to avoid any twisting or pushing along that might have resulted from using my machine for the task. Luckily the twill weave of the binding was great to allow my stitches to blend in nicely.
I kept the styling for my trousers fairly simple with a plain sweater (made by me) and a statement boot (my boots are by Lamica and I got them from Zalando). I really think I’m going to enjoy wearing my new make and they’ve turned out to be very comfy indeed.
Well, that’s it for now. I’ll be taking my time to get back up to full blogging speed, but thanks so much for stopping by and I want to wish you a very happy and peaceful new year.
See you soon xx
Pin For Later