I’m so pleased to be able to tell you that this is my first ever sponsored post! The lovely ladies at Clothspot provided me with the fabric for this jacket. I’ve used Clothspot many times before for fabric and have always been pleased with the quality and the great service and speedy delivery. They have a carefully curated selection of really nice fabrics on their website.
So let’s talk about the fabric and the pattern that I used. At first I couldn’t decide what to choose, but when I came across this vintage Vogue pattern by Christian Aujard in my collection, it all fell into place and I knew I wanted to use this cotton blended twill for a military/safari style jacket. The fabric is a blend of cotton, polyester and lycra and stretch is widthways so would make this a great choice for trousers or shorts as well as casual skirts or crisp dresses I think I will wear it a lot in Spring over all sorts of jeans and also summer dresses. Take a look at the website for other twill choices as well as lots of lovely prints and knits.
Now, onto my jacket….Before I started I pre-washed my fabric and it washed like a dream on a 35 degrees setting, coming out of the machine barely creased at all and ironing beautifully with a low medium setting and a little steam. I then cut the jacket out pretty much as the design was intended, however, if you follow me on Instagram you will have seen some progress pictures and that I actually changed the sleeve design from the original because I wasn’t overly keen on the idea of an elasticated cuff. After finding some inspiration online I decided on a shirt style cuff and placket. I found this great tutorial for putting on a sleeve placket and it was very easy to follow. I also added an elbow dart to my sleeve so that the sleeve shape followed the forward sweep of my arm and it feels more comfortable when I bend my arm. Here’s a Youtube video for adding the elbow dart.
As for the rest of the jacket I did all of the pockets, collar and yoke details as they were meant to be done, but I changed the seaming process.. The main body seams were intended to have been flat felled to make them look neat on the inside, but I didn’t bother with those…instead I just pressed them to one side and did two rows of stitching for a faux flat felled effect.. The reason I did this was because I added a lining to my jacket. I like the feeling of how a jacket slides on when it’s lined and it also adds a little extra warmth, plus it covers up any imperfections on the inside of the seams! Because of the lining I had to add the channel for the waist elastic last as you can see here. The cuffs and placket also had to be done after the lining went in.
I have a similar jacket to this in pale green and it gets a ton of wear. I suspect this one will be the same and I already love the on trend colour and style details . I know for sure that it’ll be going with me on holiday to Wales in May.
Many thanks to Clothspot for collaborating with me.
Pin for later!