Well, I seem to have got off to a quick start this month with my February BurdaStyle project (makes a change then!) I really wanted to finish my (red, of course :))sweater shift dress in time to wear for a Valentine’s date night with hubby so time was of the essence…I reached my deadline though, thank goodness. We’ll be going to a local gastropub/wine bar where the food is fab. It’s just as well my dress is a forgiving silhouette and a bit stretchy, lol!
Anyway, so this dress pattern is number 111 from January 2019 collection of Burda patterns and it was the first design to jump right out at me as I was deciding what to make this month. I really loved the shape and 60’s vibe of it.
Under new UK laws for bloggers and influencers, I now have to declare this post as an AD. As in previous months, I was provided with the PDF version of my pattern free of charge as part of my year-long collaboration with BurdaStyle. All opinions are my own and I only work with brands that I love. It’s no secret at all that I love Burda patterns! Please read my disclosure policy for more info.}**
Back to the pattern though…The main design features of the design are ¾ sleeves, a raised neckline, side front seams and of course…pockets! Lol!
I love all of these details, but I still felt my creative urges flowing when I was preparing to sew my dress and I wanted to add a bit of customisation with some kind of border feature. As you can see I did a checkerboard pintuck effect and I’ll talk you through the process later, so stay tuned and keep reading.
In the meantime, let’s get down to the nitty-gritty of pattern and fit. I cut my dress in a size 38 (sometimes I can go a smidge smaller) and I did a few fit tweaks for my personal figure foibles. Firstly, I did a bit of a forward shoulder adjustment by making the back shoulder seam a little higher and less sloped, whilst I made the from shoulder seam a bit more sloped. I also added a small dart at the back on the shoulder seam to accommodate rounded, prominent shoulder blades.
Lastly, I added a small bust dart because I found that my dress picked up a bit at the front and it needed the extra bust depth.
A pattern design note though: I notice, on me at least, that the front neckline seems a bit high. It might not be a problem for everyone but for me, I had to scoop it down a bit, so bear that in mind if you try this style for yourself.
I really like the skimming fit of my dress. It’s not meant to be bodycon and I love the way it seems a bit 60’s in style. Now, my red Ponte knit fabric is one that I got from Barry’s Fabrics in Birmingham and it’s a fairly stable knit, but I actually think a woven fabric with some stretch would work really well too. By the way,
Talking of the centre back…there’s actually a zip down it which is needed whatever fabric you use because of the small neck opening. Other than that zip though, the rest of the dress goes together really easily.
Trust me to always make extra work for myself though and I’m talking about those pintucks… To be honest, they really aren’t that difficult to do. They just look it! They were the most time-consuming part of my make though…
So, starting with a long section of fabric, I marked all of the vertical lines at 1.25” intervals using a chalk pencil.
Next, I made the tucks by folding along each chalk line and stitching very close to the edge.
I gave these vertical tucks a good steam press.
I then marked the horizontal lines, again with a chalk pencil, and did the same edge-stitching.
A final press and there you have it…a lovely checked effect! Quite easy really 🙂
Oh and by the way, if you’re intrigued by the idea of using pintucks as a decorative effect in your projects you might want to check out this other post of mine with 10 ideas for pintucks.
I’m always happy in dresses with a neat straight silhouette and I’m loving this one. I’ve made it unique with my little design feature and it feels really comfy. I love it with my knee-high boots and I can’t wait to wear it out!
PSA: Before I go, a quick announcement:
My blog posts are just not being picked up regularly by Bloglovin and it looks like there will continue to be problems…I once went for 5 weeks with no posts picked up. I’m afraid customer service from them is not the best and I’m running out of patience with them. I’d like to urge you instead, to follow my blog posts via email. You’ll always be guaranteed updates each time that I publish a fresh new post. You can either use the pop-up form or head across to the sidebar on the right and fill in the form there. I wouldn’t want you to miss out! 🙂 Cheers!
Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the interwebs…see you soon!
Pin For Later