This time around I loved the look of this particular skirt design and I already had the perfect fabric in my stash. So I made up a linen Fibremood Ezra midi-skirt. The sleek shape fits nicely with my love of narrower silhouettes and classic lines with interesting features which I spoke about in this post, when I discussed Kibbe.
****Disclaimer: This post contains some affiliate links. This means that I may make a small commission at no cost to you if you click through and purchase something that I link to. You can read my full disclosure policy here (thank you for supporting Dream Cut Sew )
My gorgeous fabric is a remnant that I picked up from Clothspot a few weeks ago. It’s the softest linen and has lots of my favourite blues and greens in, plus a little bit of taupe too. Perfect for a stylish summer skirt.
There are only four pattern pieces to Ezra. Two main skirt pieces plus two waist facing pieces. There’s a side seam with invisible zip on the right and a side front seam with some gathers and a slit on the left. An unusual style but impactful. I was a little short of fabric and I had to chop about 3”(7.5cm) off the length and I also had to join a piece on the very top section of the right front because of how the shape is cut longer for the gathers. You have to really squint hard to spot the seam so I won’t tell if you don’t 😉
I made up a size 38 and my hips measure 38”(97cm) but I ended up with very small seams over my upper thigh/lower hip area, so I think I might size up or add a smidge more at the hip if I made it again. It’s quite a fitted style so measure the pattern pieces and check before cutting if you prefer a bit more ease.
Now, I know that you always expect me to tell you about some change I made to the pattern, or some different method that I used in my sewing process (you know me too well 😉 And you’re absolutely right. This time I decided to completely mount my fabric pieces onto a fine, sheer cotton lawn lining.
I cut out both of the main skirt pieces in the cotton lining and either basted or pinned the lawn to the fabric, smoothing as I went to make sure they were both perfectly flat. All markings were made onto the cotton on the reverse and then I just sewed up the seams treating each piece as if it were just one layer. The beauty of this method is that when you want to sew the hems and slit facings in place you can just catch your stitches into the cotton lawn layer and no stitches can be seen on the right side of the fabric at all. Such a clean finish.
I sewed in the concealed zip using the method mentioned in this post of mine and the waistline has just a simple interfaced facing along the inside. I love how unbulky this waist finish is.
And there you have it. I’m very happy with how this turned out and it feels super comfy to wear.
I ended up styling the skirt with my Claudia tank (Just patterns) because the colour of my tank is the same as the little bits of taupe in the fabric, but from a distance, I’m not convinced it looks quite right as the taupe in the skirt doesn’t show up enough…I need an ivory or greeny tone with it instead. Anyhoo, I know I’ll get a lot of wear out of my new make. Hope you like it as much as I do. X
Thanks for stopping by and I’ll see you soon!
Pin For Later