I just had to do a 2017 year-end wrap-up post, didn’t I? I know it’s a cliche, but I rather like these posts for the way they help underline what we’ve accomplished and to think of how to progress.
2017 was the year I decided to start a blog. It all began in late 2016 when a seed of an idea started germinating in my brain. Was I on level 4 of dream state? Had someone else planted that thought? (if you’ve ever watched “Inception” starring Leonardo Di Caprio, you’ll understand my references….) And would I suddenly wake up with a jolt in Limbo?
Anyway, try as I might I couldn’t ignore that idea and so in January, I started to build my website, and it went live later that month. It was a huge learning curve…Huge, I tell you! I had never done anything very techie like that before and starting from scratch, designing and getting everything to look good and working properly caused me lots of headaches, and several sleepless nights. But, I’m glad I achieved it and I feel proud of myself for learning something new. In fact, I’ve moved on even further since starting, when I changed website provider platform in November and moved over to WordPress. My blog was also refreshed with a new template too. I’m fully embracing the technical stuff now. What a difference a few months makes!
I’ve really enjoyed the process of starting to write a blog. I’m the first to admit that I’m not a natural writer though and I sometimes spend many a long hour drafting posts, procrastinating and thinking of what to write, but for the most part it’s fun and it’s really getting my brain working in new and different ways. Also, I now have huge newfound respect for anyone that writes!
In a true end-of-year wrap-up fashion though, I thought I would have a fun little mini-retrospective based on my posts for a quick round-up list. So without further ado let’s get going…
- Favourite blog post…it has to be the first ever post in which I posed for proper blog photos,
- The tutorial I’m most pleased and proud of: My concealed zip method using a standard zipper foot
- Favourite photograph ‘without’ Bilbo (AKA sewing room buddy) From my ballgown post
- Favourite photo ‘with’ Bilbo
- The blog post on which I faffed the most…this one that you’re reading! Blame it on post-Christmas brain mush!
- Best blog related experience …photoshoot for Love Sewing magazine
- The garment that caused the most swearing…My red Christmas dress…that zip!
New Year…New Plans:
Of course, we can’t continually look back though, can we? Time moves on and the New Year is imminent. I’m not going to reel off a whole load of resolutions though because I’ve never kept to one in my life! Have you? Well, maybe this blog was the only kind of resolution that I did keep :). What I will do is to mention a few of the projects that I’d like to get going on once we roll into 2018…
In no particular order here are some sewing and/or blog related things on my list.
- Make a Vivienne Westwood copy tartan jacket that I had cut out early in 2017.
- Finish the tweed skirt and sweater that I started before Christmas.
- Sort my fabric stash and donate some pieces that I know I won’t sew.
- Try to plan my blog posts and be consistent in posting
- Continue to learn Lightroom for my photographs
- Sew a drape front unlined coat that I have planned before the Winter ends.
- Try to focus on one thing at a time instead of not paying attention whilst a million and one things run through my mind.
- Last but not least…quite a biggie…I’ve signed up for RTW Fast 2018. Hosted by lovely Sarah Gunn of Goodbye Valentino blog, it’s a year-long vow to abstain from buying RTW and making everything yourself with the exception of undies and shoes, socks, handbags and belts. Full details are here and there may still be time to sign up too if you want. I’ve been pretty much RTW free for the last 18 months or more, so it won’t be much of a stretch for me hopefully, so wish me luck!
For starters, my list seems pretty doable, though it’s the tip of the iceberg really, as I have a lot of other sewing projects that I could have listed too…time will tell though eh?
Do you plan much for the New Year? Are you someone that makes resolutions or do you prefer not to? And have you got a massive list of sewing to do like me…No, wait, you don’t need to answer that last question as I already know the answer, lol!
I think I’ll ease myself slowly into things anyway and finish my skirt and sweater first. Maybe I should wait until the last of the Christmas chocolates have gone before I fit the waist though!
Well, it just remains for me to say Happy New Year to you and to say thank you for stopping by to read my blog posts. I can’t tell you how much it means to me. Xx
See you soon!