I’m back as promised with the big reveal of my designer look for less…yay! (Spoiler alert…I love it!!)
So, over the last week I’ve been recreating an Elie Saab design as my entry for Designin’ December hosted by Linda of Nice Dress Thanks I Made It and in part one I wrote about the initial stages of planning and toiling the dress, working out the shape of the flounce and perfecting the fit. You can check out part one here.
Because I’d taken the time to make a toile the sewing part of my dress went really well. In fact, suffice to say I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it and took my time. As mentioned in part 1 the crepe fabric from Clothspot was lovely to work on and has a good weight and drape to it, my sewing machine certainly liked it 🙂
I had already made up the sleeves and inserted the back zip as I mentioned in my first post and next up after sewing the front darts I inserted the large flounce into the curved front seam. I didn’t hem the flounce first so that I could potentially adjust the width if I needed to. The curved seam was completely pressed open with the flounce edge pressed down to the hemline and toward the right shoulder. I needed to do lots of clipping around the curves. The flounce isn’t inserted on the back of the dress…instead, I clipped the edge and left the little back section free for me to place and hand sew in position on the right shoulder.
Next up was side seams and shoulders making sure to keep the short back section of the flounce free of the right shoulder seam when I stitched it. To neaten the seams I just overlocked the raw edges. I could finally try the dress on and check fit and length. All I needed to do was take a smidgen in down the sides and a little of the lower edge of the flounce.
To hem the flounce, first of all, I did a row of stitching about ⅜” in from the edge. Then I folded and press on this stitching line before I trimmed down to no more than ¼”. Finally, I folded it in again and stitched along. See these two photos:
The sleeves went in really easily, helped by the fact that the crepe fabric eases beautifully. I finished the armhole seam with some bias lining.
Talking of lining….I just lined the body and I left the lining free around the armholes which I finished with a rolled hem done on the overlocker (tutorial for a rolled hem in this post).
The neck facing has a Hong Kong binding around the edge and is attached to the lining which actually goes under the facing, all the way up to the neckline so there are three layers there.
There’s also a facing along the hem on the curved section that goes under the flounce and I added more Hong Kong binding all around the front and back hemline before blind hemming it up.
Where the lining meets the hems at the side seams I did little lengths of thread chains to hold it all in place. You can check out how to make one in this post on Colette blog
Finally, the short section of flounce that goes over my right shoulder is handsewn in place and the end of it goes just into the armhole seam. One of my own labels adds a little finishing touch and it’s complete!
I’m thrilled to bits with my new dress. I’ll be debut-ing it when I go out with hubby for a special Christmas date night and it’s going to be worn on Christmas day too. And who knows, I love it that much that I may even wear it to go grocery shopping… 😉
Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to read. Do drop me a comment and let me know what you think, I love to chat. And if you want to take part in Designin’ December, then you have plenty of time because it runs through to December 31st.
Catch you soon!
Pin For Later