Thank goodness I had already taken photos for this post last week, because a bit of family stress has taken up my time this week, with a lot to sort out for my parents. Anyway, here I am to tell you the story of a top that I loved, then I didn’t, then I did...and now….well, let’s just say I may still have a bit of work to do.
Maybe I should start at the beginning? Ok, so I got the PDF of the Sew Over It Ella top a few weeks back and was really keen to make it up in some lovely teal green jersey that I had (a viscose blend from Clothspot). The pattern is actually designed for wovens, so I was already going against what was meant to be, but that wasn’t the main factor in my chopping and changing.
The sizing of the pattern was pretty good for the width of body and sleeves. As I’m a size(or two) bigger on my waist compared to hips and bust, I just omitted the back darts which gave me the extra that I needed. I lengthened the sleeves, which was just a personal choice and I added a little to the overall body length...about an inch. It all stitched up beautifully on the overlocker using four threads. Being a knit, I needed to stabilise the front fold-back facing, so I did it in the same way as I did on the cardigan in this post here.
The finished top looked great and got some admiration on Instagram too...buuut...the crux came when I wore it for a while. I just wasn’t happy with the length sitting right at my waist, right above the point where my stomach curved out and if I moved it seemed even shorter. I just didn’t feel that the length was flattering on me and it felt gappy at the back when I leaned over. I had to find a solution or have the top hanging in my wardrobe unworn. So, an urgent search of my fabrics drawers started and thankfully I found a large-ish remnant of the same jersey, woohoo! Mini fist pump!
I decided to do a deeper band all around the bottom and to make a buttonhole on the side for one of the ties to thread through to hold things in place better. The added band of double layered fabric just closes the gap twixt top and bottoms and seems more flattering over my tummy area. Sadly, I didn’t have enough length for it to be cut all in one though, so there’s a join at the back somewhere. I also had to do a bit of strange chopping and stitching across the pleat detail at the lower edge so it turned out to not be my neatest work, but at least it salvaged the top and it looks pretty good if I do say so myself :)
However….You remember I said, “.....well, let’s just say I may still have a bit of work to do”? The thing is, I wore the top all day long two days ago and discovered that the length of the sloped fronts now seems to be too long because I got some sagging of the fronts when sitting down and I think it shifts a little with wear. I think the reason is that each front goes in between my boobs so actually needs to be shorter than the area that actually goes over them. I need to unpick a few inches of the band at each end and take some length off the top then re-attach it. Perhaps then I’ll get a top that fits right eventually!! Dogged determination will get me through :)
Well, after altering this top and recently wrestling with the fit of some new twill trousers, I feel the need for a very simple project now. Something plain and with only few pattern pieces…hmmm.
‘Till next time!