Today’s post is another in my series exploring various sewing techniques and embellishments and this time it’s all about ideas using buttons and buttonholes. I’ve chosen various images and ideas that I’ve discovered on Pinterest to get your creative juices flowing (PS..are you following me on Pinterest? If not check out my boards here :))
If you’d like to read my other posts, here they are:
So without further ado let’s get on with the list and get inspired. Read on…
6 Inspiring Ideas For Buttons And Buttonholes:
1. Put a buttoned placket all the way down the sides of some pants. I love the way they used bias cut fabric on this example and I think it would be great to have the buttons functional toward the hems so that you could open them up for a stylish slit.
2. This one is just for buttons and I love the alternate placing here on a simple button and loop closure. What a beautiful back detail!
3. How about highlighting the buttons with suede strips? I love the slight military vibe from this design. I’m not sure, but would imagine that regular buttonholes are done first and then the strips are topstitched in place?
4. An easy way to do a buttonhole without using the buttonhole stitch settings on your machine is to actually create buttonholes within seams like this next photo. You could really go crazy with intricate seaming and lots of buttons or just one seam…say at the waistline…and one large, beautiful statement button.
5. This one is such a cool idea. You’re actually creating ripples or folds by positioning the buttons and buttonholes in strategic places and reigning in the fullness of this pleated overlay. It’s definitely one that I’m bookmarking for future use.
6. And Finally, I love how the buttons on both of these garments are used as statements to highlight design lines and panels. The first is Balenciaga and the second is Altuzarra. On the Altuzarra design, I don’t think it does detach but imagine how cool it would be if that top section detached from the bottom of the jacket for a two-in-one look.
I never realised just how versatile a simple button could be until I started to research them. So many cool ideas and very creative. Hopefully, after you’ve read this you feel the same too 🙂
These inspiring ideas for buttons and buttonholes were really fun to put together and I’d love to hear what you think. Do you feel inspired to try any out? Or have you already done something creative with buttons? Let me know in the comments.
Thanks for reading, catch you soon!
Pin For Later